Why Dragon Boat Paddling?
People paddle with us for many reasons. The main reason is EXERCISE! Dragon boating is great for your mind, body and soul as you work on increasing your muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness. The training is adjustable to all experience levels and our team members will work with you on technique and overall fitness goals. BDBC has open practices that allow new people to try their hand at paddling. No experience is necessary. BDBC welcomes paddlers of all skill sets--men and women, younger and older (must at least be 10 years of age). Whether your interest is recreational or competitive, our coaching staff will train you in safety, timing, and technique until you're zipping through the water, paddling in perfect unison with your teammates, 20 paddles one boat!
Another reason to join BDBC is to COMPETE! Dragon boating is one of the fastest growing competitive sports worldwide, and BDBC fields teams that compete at local, regional, and national levels. Dragon boat racing can harness your intensity, focus, and strength as you paddle in sync with 19 other like-minded teammates to the beat of the drum as the boat propels you to victory! The thrill of racing is amazing!
Lastly, join for FUN! Our team is full of positive, supportive, fun-loving, enthusiastic people that are more like a family than a team. The welcome and encouragement you find at BDBC will make fitness easy to achieve. No one person is a team and a team is nothing without its members. Besides paddling, BDBC members enjoy social events such as bowling, movies, other fitness events as well as special events like concerts and theater shows. We are always planning something fun to do!
Membership Benefits include:
- Access to the harbor, dragon boats, equipment and trained coaches
- Increased knowledge of dragon boating through formal instruction of technique, drills and mental/physical preparation
- Great endurance, strength training and overall fitness enhancement
- Opportunity to learn how to steer a dragon boat
- Potential to gain competitive paddling experience at the local, regional and national levels
- Team building, friendship, bonding and camaraderie
- Social gatherings after practices and throughout the year
- Reduced prices on dragon boat-related equipment and apparel
If you're worried about having enough time to commit to a team sport, don't be. We have members that paddle recreationally as their schedule allows, and more serious members that practice consistently to condition themselves for races. BDBC's paddling season begins in April and ends in October, although club-sponsored social gatherings will be held year round.
Practice Sessions Are:
- Mondays at 6:15 pm (race practice)
- Wednesdays at 6:15 pm (open club practice)
- Fridays at 5:45 AM (open club practice) (as sunlight allows)
- Saturdays at 8:30 AM (open club practice)
Boats are docked at the UA Waterfront (Formerly Tide Point Marina) located at 1010 Hull Street in Baltimore. Team members check in outside the UA Combine Training Center (UACTC memberships available directly through UACTC staff). Parking is free.
How Do I Get Started?
Just sign up for one of the guest practices in the training section of our website. If you don't want to come alone, bring a friend and sign them up too. Your first paddling session is free. After that, pay only $5 per session. If you decide to join BDBC as a full-time member, you pay only $125 per season. If you join us after July 1st, membership costs only $75.