Come see what all the fuss is about! Our coaches will give you a crash course in proper paddling, then put you on a boat to learn timing and technique while paddling with the team.
Open practices are usually held Wednesdays from 6:00-7:30 PM and Saturdays from 8:00 - 9:30 AM, but check our website or TeamSnap calendars to confirm.
How do I sign up?
Sign up on Team Snap for an open practice. (If you don't have a Team Snap account, head to the Contact Us page to request one) You can complete the waiver on our Membership page. Someone from our membership committee will be available to answer any questions that you might have and introduce you to other team members. For each practice, pay $5 or $150 for the whole season. If you join after July 1st, membership costs only $75. (See our site calendar for more info on time and place.) You can pay here. Please pay the day before you come to practice.
What should I wear?
Dragon boating is a water sport, so wear clothes that you don’t mind getting wet. Chances are, you won’t get soaked (BDBC has never flipped a boat—and doesn’t plan to), but paddling can be splashy.
A few tips:
• Wicking fabrics dry faster
• Any footwear is fine (including bare feet), but sneakers can get soggy pretty quick
• Gloves can prevent blisters while paddling
• A hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen are handy
What equipment should I bring?
Life jackets and paddles are provided. The dragon boat seats are solid wood, so we recommend a cushion to prevent soreness (affectionately called “dragon ass”). A gardening knee pad, a folded towel, or rolled-up bath mat are good cushions.
Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated.
You can store keys in our secure, waterproof bag. Everything else is best left in your car, or safely stowed in a locker in the UA Performance Center.
All paddlers must provide proof of vaccination. The day before you come to practice, please email us a copy of your vaccination card showing that you are fully vaccinated.
Everyone that paddles with us is required to complete our club waiver, which you can find here. Please submit the waiver prior to coming to your first practice.
If you do not wish to join as a member, you may pay $5 per paddling session. Paddling fees may be paid in our Square store here.
- Until further notice, proof of vaccination (image of your vaccination card) must be emailed to membership before you can enter the boat. Waivers, paddling fees and proof of vaccination should be submitted no later than 5:00 PM the night before paddling.
- Wicking fabrics dry faster
- Any footwear is fine (including bare feet), but sneakers can get soggy pretty quick
- A hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen are handy